Sunday, October 16, 2011

John Mark McMillan - Economy



John Mark McMillan has become one of the fastest spreading Christian musicians in history. He wrote a song in November of 2005 called "How He Loves", part of his second studio album, The Song Inside the Sounds of Breaking Down. According to John Mark, this song wasn't expected to be very popular, and it wasn't at first. It was written almost as a mourning song, attempting to clear away the confusion surrounding his friend's death. However, within a few years, "How He Loves" had become (and still is) one of the most popular worship songs in history. Professionally covered and recorded by over 23 artists (such as David Crowder, Flyleaf, Kim Walker, Kari Jobe, and Todd Agnew), performed live by countless more, and played in thousands of churches worldwide, there is no doubt in my mind that "How He Loves" is more than just a little mourning song. 

Ever since then, JMM's career has skyrocketed. With five studio albums, one live album, and three singles, John Mark has become a household name for Christian listeners and musicians. His lyrics have captivated the most stoic of listeners, and the most critical of musicians. 

In his new album, Economy, McMillan has not disappointed. When beginning the album, you feel like you're already on the third or fourth song. Initially listening to the first track, I started thinking "Nothing will ever compare to The Medicine." However, the first song is powerful enough to get you excited for the rest of the album. When it ended I was, of course, holding my breath for the next track to start. The second track, "Daylight" starts with a battle rally-type sound. With a sharp, heavy reverb on McMillan;s voice. Classic, of course. About halfway through the song, James Duke comes in with the slide guitar sound we all know and love from the JMM band. This got me going. You can never go wrong with a well done slide guitar, The third track, "Heart Bleeds" is probably one I'm going to play at my church. It's just a good worship song, and John Mark has brought forth simple, passionate lyrics once again (and again, the slide guitar got me). It might be my favorite on the album. In competition with the album's title track, number six. Generally, I'm biased against title tracks, because they seem to automatically be overplayed on the radio, and I get tired of them. That may happen with "Economy" but the album hasn't been released yet, so they haven't had a chance to sour me on it yet. The album's fourth track, "Love You Swore" features a part where McMillan's voice goes up higher than I ever thought it could. Much respect. "Murdered Son" and "Sins are Stones" both remind me of "Carbon Ribs" from The Medicine. Very atmospheric and "cool" feeling songs. Like, the temperature. Anyways, the track "Who is This" reminds me of The Medicine because of it's lyrics such as "Open up your doors" and "Open up your gates before Him." Nearly exact lines from previous songs. "Chemicals" is definitely the simplest and most different in Economy, but it brings a nice break from the intensity of the previous songs. The final song is just one word. My word. Epic. You'll just have to listen to it. 

By the way, I don't EVER do this, but I think this album is just too good to hide. For a limited time, you can listen to the entire album if you click right here. Relevant Magazine is hosting a preview for who knows how long. Listen to it while it's hot!

Officially, Economy will be released on November 1st. It will be on iTunes, Spotify (Get one. Get one now.), and plenty of other online and physical music stores. I strongly, strongly suggest you buy this album. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites. 

Until it releases, listen to it on the Relevant website, and watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NXWE6AC8ao

Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search it