Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Upcoming Album by... The Shat?

That's right, Captain Kirk never lets us down. On October 11th, William Shatner is scheduled to release a metal album called Seeking Major Tom.  When I first heard this, I thought "Aw crap" because I knew I would have to listen to it. I mean, it's Shatner! Then I found out some of the people he planned to feature on his album. Brad Paisley, The Strokes' Nick Valensi, Zakk Wylde, Wayne Kramer, Manuel Göttsching, Johnny Winter, and others. I found myself thinking, "Well, maybe there's hope. Maybe it will be legitimate."

My hopes were short-lived. Not long afterwards, The Priceline Negotiator released his tracklist. It turns out this album, Seeking Major Tom, is simply a collection of space-themed covers such as  "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby, Elton John's "Rocket Man", and everyone's favorite, "Bohemian Rhapsody". Now, I'm going to be honest and say that I've always wanted to hear Shatner sing "Bohemian Rhapsody", and I know you have too, but will that be enough to reconcile the rest of the album? You never know. It sounds like an adventure either way.

You can bet that once this album gets into my hands, I'll tell you if it rocks... and also if it doesn't. Until then, however, I have faith that it could be something worth listening to. Never underestimate Captain Kirk. He's made it this long.


Once again, this album will be coming out on October 11th. I can't promise it will be on
Spotify ($10 a month, get one), but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find it on iTunes. When it comes, I'll let you know how it all goes down.

By the way, the final track is an original song called "Mrs. Major Tom" featuring an unannounced female artist. My money is on Lady Gaga.

Until then, uhh... live long and prosper?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search it