Monday, October 3, 2011

Switchfoot - Vice Verses



I decided to start with an easy one. Switchfoot. I've been a fan of Switchfoot for a long time, and they've never failed me. They've been together since 1996, have produced 8 albums, and have won 9 Dove Awards and a Grammy. This is the point at which most bands start to slowly fall downhill. Take another of my favorite bands, Anberlin. Never Take Friendship Personal and Blueprints for the Blackmarket are two of my all-time favorite albums, but ever since New Surrender I just get sad when I listen to them. Switchfoot has not disappointed me so. The boys have once again made me squeal like a girl when I started listening to the first song, and that excitement lasted through the entire album, which is not an easy task. 

The first track, "Afterlife" is definitely an embodiment of Switchfoot's recent change in direction. It takes a slightly darker turn than their previous songs, starting with thick guitars and heavy drums. The entire song continues with a slightly "epic" feel (can I use that word?), with inspiring lyrics and a memorable guitar solo near the third quarter of the song. The next two tracks, "The Original" and "The War Inside" bring us back to the Switchfoot we're all familiar with. The punky, exciting sound makes old-time fans feel at ease knowing their old friends are still the same crazy, fun loving rock stars they've always been. The next track, "Restless" reminds me of a toned down "Your Love is a Song". Not the most memorable song on the album, but a masterpiece nonetheless. "Blinding Light" takes us back a little to the Nothing is Sound days with the line "Hey girl," repeated through the song and the uplifting, encouraging lyrics seemingly directed to a typical teenage girl vexed with discouragement and loss of direction. Definitely classic Switchfoot. "Selling the News" definitely gives a small shock to listeners. With Switchfoot experimenting with the spoken word, this song definitely sticks out. On a commentary they made, they said this song was written to be put on Hello Hurricane, but after much thought, the band decided to save it for their next album. A wise choice, in my opinion. The song sticks out in stark contrast to the melody and depth of the other tracks. That says nothing for the depth of the lyrics, though. The lyrics in this song are perhaps some of the most powerful in Switchfoot history. If you could only listen to one song on this album, I would suggest this one. "Thrive", "Souvenirs", "Where I Belong", and title track "Vice Verses" bring excellent balance to the album, and are woven into it in just the right places, creating a master piece. The more upbeat "Rise Above It" is just one more party of a song written to encourage the lost and left out to "rise above it." The track "Dark Horses" was released early as a single, and it got our mouths watering. Arguably the most well done on the album, and the favorite of many, "Dark Horses" was written for homeless kids in San Diego."They are the true dark horses... They've been dealt a tough deck of cards, and they're fighting it." said bassist Tim Foreman in a special commentary.

Vice Verses has definitely impressed me, and if you like good music with meaning, then you should probably like it too. I'm just saying. Switchfoot still has yet to let me down, and I will continue to act like a child at Christmas every time they come out with something new. If you don't have Spotify, I suggest you get it. Without an invitation it's about $9 a month for as much music as you can possibly listen to. 

If you don't, then you can always buy this album, along with Switchfoot's other albums at http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/switchfoot/id655658

Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search it